Director, Pharmacy - Norfolk General Hospital
Click here to apply
Director, Pharmacy – Norfolk General Hospital
Posting No.: 23-89
The Director, Pharmacy provides leadership to Norfolk General Hospital and West Haldimand General Hospital and is responsible for the overall administrative oversight of the pharmacy in accordance with departmental and Hospital policies as well as regulatory and legislative requirements. The Director, Pharmacy ensures that high quality care/service is provided in an efficient and effective manner. The Director will co-ordinate and organize activities of the various disciplines into an integrated service in accordance with the respective Hospital’s mission, vision, philosophy, and values. The Director is responsible for the planning, development, management, activities, and evaluation of the department. The position also performs the role of pharmacist.
- Manage all operational aspects of Norfolk and West Haldimand General Hospital’s Pharmacy department to ensure safe and effective medication management system across the hospitals, in collaboration with other internal and external stakeholders;
- Establishes, implements and evaluates specific policies and procedures ensuring adherence to regulatory requirements;
- Responsible for the strategic, administration, financial/resource management and operation of Norfolk and West Haldimand General Hospital inpatient pharmacies;
- Ensures appropriate allocation and use of resources within the operating and capital budgets;
- Ensures a comprehensive quality improvement program is established, monitored and evaluated;
- Assists in designing, implementing, and performing ongoing review of pharmacy clinical services. This includes policy and procedure development and education across the healthcare spectrum;
- Serves as a resource to leadership, medical, and nursing staff within the organizations and to all staff in Pharmacy;
- Identifies, plans and evaluates process changes;
- Acts as a leader and advisor to pharmacists and the health care team, regarding evidence-based pharmacy practice;
- Ensures programs for quality, training and competency of staff are in place in accordance with service policies, and regulatory bodies e.g., Ontario College of Pharmacists;
- Assures compliance with standards of practice from voluntary and mandatory organizations (Accreditation Canada, Ontario College of Pharmacists, Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists);
- Represents the department at Leadership Forum, Ontario Health teams and committees and other meetings as appropriate;
- Optimizes automated technology within the medication drug distribution system;
- Maintains a formulary system to meet the needs of patients and physicians with an active role in the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee;
- Maintains a drug therapy monitoring program, patient counseling, and drug information services;
- Responsible for the maintenance and updates of hospital pharmacy systems and equipment, including infusion and syringe pumps.
- Adheres to all health and safety policies, procedures and provisions;
- Performing the role of pharmacist.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Pharmacy Degree or Doctor of Pharmacy Degree from a recognized institution;
- Licensed and in good standing with the Ontario College of Pharmacists with the expectation of adherence to standards of practice;
- Must be a member of the Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists (CSHP)
- Minimum 5 years recent progressive experience in a hospital pharmacy setting, having demonstrated;
- Leadership/management skills;
- Interpersonal verbal and written communication skills;
- Analytical thinking, accountability and decision-making skills;
- Responsibility, accountability, and sound financial management;
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge and application of pertinent regulatory requirements, legislation and business/hospital theories;
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in quality and risk management of pharmacy systems, operation, and services;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to articulate clear expectations and work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary environment;
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize workload;
- Knowledge and adherence to Occupational Health and Safety and Infection Control principles, policies and procedures.
Located in Simcoe, Ontario, Norfolk General Hospital provides exceptional healthcare to a municipality of approximately 64,000 people. Our area of focus provides a continuum of service throughout the life span of the people we serve including Emergency, Critical Care, Obstetrics, Medicine, Surgery, and Complex Continuing Care. Employing approximately 550 highly skilled and dedicated employees, Norfolk General Hospital is a full service, 106-bed hospital with 24/7 on-call coverage of Specialists in Surgery, Anesthesia, Internal Medicine, and Obstetrics as well as on-site 24-hour per day medical coverage. Positions may also provide support to the Norfolk Hospital Nursing Home, an 80-bed long-term care facility.
Simcoe is less than one hour away from most major centres, including Hamilton and London, and only 90 minutes from the Greater Toronto Area. Situated in Norfolk County (Ontario’s South Coast), Simcoe is not far from Lake Erie and the 88 miles of shoreline that includes long stretches of sandy beach.
The West Haldimand General Hospital (WHGH) is a rural community hospital in the town of Hagersville, southwestern Ontario, which provides basic hospital and health care services to the people of Hagersville, Caledonia, Jarvis, Townsend, Cayuga, Fisherville, Selkirk, Nanticoke, the Six Nations of the Grand River Reserve and the Mississaugas the New Credit First Nation Reserve. West Haldimand has a 23-bed acute care Inpatient Unit, 24/7 Emergency Department, Ambulatory clinics and provides perioperative services for same-day surgical patients.
Hagersville is less than one hour away from most major centres, including Hamilton and Brantford, and only 90 minutes from the Greater Toronto Area.
How to apply:
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter and resume to the Human Resources Department by e-mailing email@example.com referring to posting number 23-89.
In order to ensure equal opportunities during the recruitment and selection process, Norfolk General Hospital and Norfolk Hospital Nursing Home provides accommodations for applicants with disabilities, upon request.
Norfolk General Hospital and Norfolk Hospital Nursing Home thanks all applicants for their interest. Please note that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Click here to apply