Distinguished Service Award
Nominations are due by October 31, 2023 (23:59 Pacific Time)
Purpose and criteria
The Distinguished Service Award is given in recognition of outstanding achievement in hospital pharmacy practice, primarily in Canada, to a Member of the Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists (CSHP), who has held membership (including student membership) for a minimum of 15 cumulative years and who has been practicing as a pharmacist for a minimum of 20 cumulative years. It is awarded for significant ongoing contributions to hospital pharmacy practice and to CSHP primarily at the national level but also at the branch level (including A.P.E.S.).
For the purposes of determining eligibility and relative merit of the candidates, the following definitions of achievement will be used:
Evidence of outstanding achievement
Achievements have been recognized for their creativity or have led to a fundamental positive change in the way pharmacists practise and should be emulated by others. Recognition of such achievements should be indicated in the supporting documentation accompanying the nomination.
1. Evidence must include the following criterion:
Participation in pharmacy organizations:
- There must be CSHP involvement through participation in activities, committees, and programs primarily at the national level but also at the branch level (including A.P.E.S.). Only officer positions or chairs will be considered, where leadership and effective accomplishment of committee goals and objectives are evident.
- Participation in CSHP activities, committees and programs must be for a minimum of 10 years (or a combination of 10 years of service to CSHP and A.P.E.S.).
- The candidate has made a substantial impact on hospital pharmacy practice through this activity. Impact on practice should be indicated in a letter of support.
- If one of the achievement areas is the management of a professional journal, the contributions should have had an impact on patient care or hospital pharmacy practice. Such contributions should be supported by a letter, indicating the nature of the proposed impact, from the editor or associate editor.
2. Evidence must also include at least one of the following three criteria:
- CSHP Fellow (FCSHP) status
- Publications and Presentations: a series of articles or presentations on a few topics based on the candidate’s study of these areas or original research evidenced by his/her publications appearing in peer-reviewed journals. Articles must be relevant to the Canadian hospital pharmacy experience. The subject matter of the publications/presentations provides evidence of the candidate's practice accomplishments and demonstrates their willingness to share ideas, success, and leadership qualities. Research must have an impact on patient care or pharmacy practice.
- Awards: from professional non-profit voluntary organizations (e.g. CSHP, CPhA, CCCP, A.P.E.S., ASHP, ACCP, regulatory authorities, etc.) for the advancement of hospital pharmacy practice. Include awards received in recognition of contribution made to patient care or pharmacy practice.
Only one award will be conferred each year; if no candidate is outstanding, the award will not be granted.
About the award
The winner will be invited to accept their award and present a keynote plenary session at CSHP's national conference. They will also receive a framed certificate, complimentary conference registration along with travel and accommodation to attend the event.
Nominations will be adjudicated by the National Awards Committee. Assessment will be based solely on the information provided. Following the adjudication process, a Selection Committee – composed of past recipients of the Distinguished Service Award, CSHP Executive Officers, and members of the CSHP Fellows (FCSHP) Recognition Committee – will make the final selection.
The names of the nominees will be kept confidential throughout the adjudication and selection process. Only the name of the successful candidate will be made public.
- Nominations due by October 31 (23:59 Pacific Time)
- Winner contacted in December
- Winner announced in January via website, email, and social media
- Nominators are encouraged to resubmit past nominees who have not been selected. Please include any additional accomplishments in an updated nomination package
The nomination consists of the following five components:
- A nomination letter (not exceeding 1000 words) which outlines the nominee’s service to CSHP and describes how their achievements have been recognized for their creativity or led to a fundamental positive change in pharmacy practice. The letter must demonstrate how the candidate meets the nomination criteria for the award and include information on which of the nominee’s “projects” makes this individual worthy of receiving the Distinguished Service Award. This letter must be written by a current CSHP Member (individual with a professional degree in pharmacy) and include contact information.
- Up to three letters of support (not exceeding 300 words each) from individuals, other than the nominator (including contact information), who have first-hand knowledge of the accomplishments of the candidate and can substantiate how the candidate meets the criteria for the award. CSHP membership is not required to submit a letter of support.
- Any supporting documentation to provide additional information about the nominee, such as print or online news articles, presentations, publications, certificates of achievement, profile, or biography (please limit supporting documents to four pages each). The nominee’s contribution to hospital pharmacy practice must be documented in sufficient detail to allow adjudication and selection.
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae
- Completed signature form
Completed nominations may be returned to CSHP by mail, fax, or email.
Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists
30 Concourse Gate, Unit 27, Ottawa ON K2E 7V7
If you would like more information, please contact Robyn Rockwell, Membership and Awards Administrator, at email@example.com or 613-909-9964