Antimicrobial Stewardship Pharmacist – Antimicrobial Stewardship Program, Scarborough Health Network
General hospital (with cross-site responsibilities)
Full Time Permanent
Across our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America’s largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. Learn more at shn.ca
The Antimicrobial Stewardship Pharmacist is an integral member of the Antimicrobial Stewardship Program and support corporate initiatives that foster appropriate and cost-effective antimicrobial use, reduce antimicrobial resistance, and enhance patient safety across the Scarborough Health Network.
The ASP Pharmacist will work with the Antimicrobial Stewardship Program and Pharmacy Services to implement strategies that may include: education to hospital staff and patients, prospective and retrospective evaluation of ongoing compliance and provide feedback to physicians and pharmacists. The ASP Pharmacist will collaborate with the Antimicrobial Stewardship Program to establish evidence-based guidelines to promote appropriate antimicrobial therapy including: antibiotic prophylaxis, guidance for empiric antimicrobial therapy, optimizing antimicrobial therapy associated with a definite diagnosis, optimizing antimicrobial dose and route of administration as well as duration of antimicrobial therapy. The ASP Pharmacist will participate in antimicrobial utilization quality initiatives by assisting in drug use surveillance and reporting, monitoring for adverse effects, toxicity and drug interactions.
- Active registration with the Ontario College of Pharmacists.
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree program in pharmacy, or recognized equivalent.
- Advanced clinical degree such as a post-baccalaureate Doctor of Pharmacy degree (second pharmacy degree) preferred.
- Accredited Canadian Pharmacy Residency (ACPR), Board Certified Infectious Diseases Pharmacist (BCIDP) credential an asset.
- Infectious disease training or equivalent clinical experience (e.g. pharmacy fellowship program).
- Minimum three years of relevant pharmacy experience.
- Demonstrated satisfactory work performance and attendance history.
- Demonstrates values consistent with SHN’s Code of Conduct and is committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with Health & Safety policy and legislation.
- Utilize protective equipment provided and identify and reports hazards.
- Engages in ethical conduct and strives to understand and appreciate the diversity of our patient/staff population and community.
- Excellent work performance and attendance.
Job Number: J1119-0421
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.