Join CSHP's Special COVID-19 Pharmacy Specialty Network
In an effort to share information and best hospital pharmacy practices regarding COVID-19, the Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists has set-up a special open access (free to members and non-members) Pharmacy Specialty Network (PSN).
Register now to join the COVID-19 PSN here: https://qid.io/COVID19PSN/home
Already registered for QID? Access the COVID-19 PSN here: https://qid.io/COVID19PSN#/
CSHP COVID-19 Free Webinar Series
Free to members and non-members. You must register to attend.
Please take note that all sessions will be recorded and posted on this page as they become available.
Suggestions for other webinars and presenter are welcome – please send to Christina Adams.
|Panel - What are the Treatment Options for COVID-19?||Register||Thursday, April 9, 2020, 7:00 pm EDT|
|Adapting Hospital Pharmacy Practice During a Pandemic||.||Register||Tuesday, April 7, 2020, 1:00 pm EDT|
Evaluating Evidence for Emerging Therapies during a Pandemic
|Slides||View recording||April 2, 2020|
COVID19: Managing Autoimmune, Psychiatric and Trauma Responses
|Slides||View recording||March 31, 2020|
|Implementing Hospital Telepharmacy: Review of CSHP’s Telepharmacy Guidelines||Slides||View recording||March 26, 2020|
|Going Nsane over NSAIDs: Evaluation of the evidence behind the rejection of ibuprofen in management of COVID-19||Slides||View recording||March 24, 2020|
CSHP Branch Contributions
CSHP-BC COVID-19 What Pharmacists Know Now: Free Short Video Series
|Role of Statins
||Presented by Ricky Turgeon, BSc(Pharm), ACPR, PharmD||
|April 3, 2020|
|COVID-19 Virus Stability and Transmission
||Presented by Kelly Grindrod, BScPharm, PharmD, MSc||
|March 30, 2020|
|Should we avoid corticosteroids?
||Presented by Megan Harbin, BSc(Pharm), PharmD, ACPR||
|March 27, 2020|
Role of Hydroxychloroquine
|Presented by Gregory Mah, PharmD||
|March 27, 2020|
|Should patients discontinue their ACE inhibitors and ARBs?||Presented by Arden Berry, BSc, BSc(Pharm), PharmD, ACPR||
|March 25, 2020|
|Does ibuprofen worsen COVID-19 Infection?||Presented by Doson Chua, BSc(Pharm), PharmD, FCSHP, BCPS, BCCP||
|March 24, 2020|
A CSHP Statement on COVID-19
See CSHP's full statement on COVID-19 here.
Additional Member Updates
We have partnered with all major pharmacy sector stakeholders to advocate on a number of fronts with several government agencies. In addition to contributing to pandemic response teams at various levels, CSHP signed on to an open letter to the Government of Canada, led by CPhA and co-signed by 16 other national and provincial organizations, that calls for Health Canada to recognize pharmacists as essential healthcare providers, with respect to the supply and allocation of PPE. CSHP is working with CPhA to craft evidence-based PPE best-practice recommendations.
CSHP members – pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, pharmacy students, interns and residents – insured with our preferred provider BMS are in good hands. Please review the COVID-19: Insurance Coverage Position Statement for details. A note for our retired members: If you return to work, you must purchase an active policy (and should check with your provincial regulatory body about registration to active status). Pro-rated fees are available for shorter terms between now and June 30, 2020. Learn more here.
Open Letter to Colleagues and Professionals re: COVID‐19
A complete .pdf copy of CSHP member, Dr. Joel Lamoure's letter can be accessed here.
Additional Tools and Resources for Hospital Pharmacy Teams
Use #COVID19RX for treatments related to COVID-19
- Updated Belguim COVID-19 guidelines include Hydroxychloroquine for confirmed mild/moderate cases. Access the guidelines in .pdf format here.
- The Liverpool Drug Interaction Group (based at the University of Liverpool, UK), in collaboration with the University Hospital of Basel (Switzerland) and Radboud UMC (Netherlands), have produced various materials in .pdf format to aid the use of experimental agents in the treatment of COVID-19. Access the website with .pdf resources on COVID_19 here: COVID-19 Drug interactions.
Information from Health Canada
- Special access to Remdesivir (March 16, 2020)
Accès spécial au remdésivir (16 mars 2020)
Update (March 23, 2020)
- Guidance on exemptions for prescriptions of controlled substances under the CDSA and its Regulations (March 19, 2020)
If permitted within the applicable provincial/territorial scopes of practice, the exemptions permit pharmacists to extend prescriptions; permit pharmacists to transfer prescriptions to other pharmacists; permit prescribers to issue verbal orders (i.e., over the phone) to extend or refill a prescription; and permit pharmacy employees to deliver prescriptions of controlled substances to patients’ homes or other locations where they may be (i.e., self isolating). View the exemptions in English or French.
UpToDate Coronavirus Topic
For clinicians at the front lines of the outbreak who are seeking the most current, evidence-based clinical decision support, the Coronavirus topic on UpToDate is available for free: English (worldwide access)
Public Health Agency of Canada
- COVID-19 - main page
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): For health professionals
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Summary of Assumptions
- Infection prevention and control for coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Interim guidance for acute healthcare setting
- Routine practices and additional precautions for preventing the transmission of infection in healthcare settings
- Public health management of cases and contacts associated with coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
- Health product industry
- Diagnostic devices
- Personal Protective Equipment Against COVID-19