Distinguished Service Award
Submission deadline: September 30, 2019 (23:59 Pacific Time)
The Distinguished Service Award (DSA) is given to a pharmacist in recognition of outstanding achievement in hospital pharmacy practice. It is awarded for significant ongoing contributions to hospital pharmacy practice and to the Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists (CSHP) at the national and branch levels (including A.P.E.S.). The award is open to any current CSHP Member who has held membership (including student membership) for a minimum of 15 cumulative years and who has been practising for a minimum of 20 cumulative years. Individuals are nominated by their peers.
This award is sponsored by Pharmascience Inc.
Achievements have been recognized for their creativity or have led to a fundamental positive change in the way pharmacists practise and should be emulated by others. Recognition of such achievements should be indicated by letters of support accompanying the nomination. The nominee’s contribution to hospital pharmacy practice must be documented in sufficient detail to allow adjudication and selection.
For the purposes of determining the eligibility and relative merit of the candidates, the following definitions of achievement will be used to determine the winner. Evidence must include two or more of the following criteria, including the fourth criterion which is mandatory:
A series of articles on a few topics, based on the candidate’s study of these areas, or original research evidenced by his/her publications appearing in peer-reviewed journals. Articles must be relevant to the Canadian hospital pharmacy experience. The subject matter of the publications shall show evidence of the candidate's leadership in the area. Research must have an impact on patient care or pharmacy practice.
From professional non-profit voluntary organizations (e.g. CSHP, CPhA, CCCP, A.P.E.S., ASHP, ACCP, regulatory authorities, etc.) for the advancement of hospital pharmacy practice. Include awards received in recognition of contribution to patient care or pharmacy practice
3. Special status designations
Fellow status and other designations from pharmacy organizations
4. Participation in pharmacy organizations (mandatory) *
- There should be CSHP involvement by participation in activities, committees, and programs primarily at the national level but also at the branch level (including A.P.E.S.). Only officer positions or chairs will be considered, where leadership and effective accomplishment of committee goals and objectives are evident
- Participation in CSHP activities, committees, and programs must be for a minimum of 10 years (or a combination of 10 years of service to CSHP and A.P.E.S.)
- The candidate has made substantial impact on hospital pharmacy practice through this activity. Impact on practice should be indicated in a letter of support
- If one of the achievement areas is the management of a professional journal, the contributions should have had an impact on patient care or hospital pharmacy practice. Such contributions should be supported by a letter, indicating potential impact, from the editor or associate editor
Only one award will be conferred in a given year; if there are no qualified candidates, the award will not be granted.
Download a printable version of the submission guidelines.
About the award
The award will be presented at the Professional Practice Conference (PPC) in Toronto.
The award consists of a framed certificate, round-trip travel to the awards ceremony, full complimentary conference registration, and one night’s accommodation at the conference host hotel.
The submission consists of an online nomination form and a signature form. The signature form must be signed by three CSHP Members. Following submission of the online nomination, the signature form must be completed and returned to CSHP. Letters of support, and if possible, a copy of the nominee’s curriculum vitae should accompany the nomination.
Award submissions will be adjudicated by the National Awards Committee. Assessment will be based solely on the information provided. Following the adjudication process, a Selection Committee – composed of past recipients of the DSA, CSHP Executive Officers, and members of the CSHP Fellows (FCSHP) Recognition Committee – will make the final selection.
The names of the nominees will be kept confidential throughout the adjudication and selection process. Only the name of the successful candidate will be made public.
The following documents should accompany the nomination:
- Three to five letters of support for the nominee, which not only outline his or her service to CSHP, but also describe how the candidate’s achievements have been recognized for their creativity or led to a fundamental positive change in the way pharmacists practice. Letters of support should include information on which of the nominee’s “projects” makes this individual worthy of receiving the DSA.
- The nominee's curriculum vitae
- Signature form (mandatory)
Supporting documents may be returned to CSHP by mail, fax, or email.
Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists
30 Concourse Gate, Unit 3, Ottawa, ON K2E 7V7
Toll Free: (877) 340-2756, ext. 222
Direct: (613) 909-9964
It is suggested that you compose the submission using your normal word processor and copy/paste the information into the online nomination form. This will ensure that you have a local copy in case of computer error. Save a copy of your submission for your records before you enter it online. There are word limits associated with certain sections of the nomination form.
The inclusion of a curriculum vitae, although helpful, is insufficient to properly highlight the contributions of the candidate. Describe in detail the accomplishments of the candidate which substantiate your nomination. Be as specific as possible - do not simply refer to the curriculum vitae or assume the candidate's contributions are well known.
- Nominations due by September 30, 2019 (23:59 Pacific Time)
- Winner contacted by December 13, 2019
- Winner announced in January via website, email, and social media
For taking the time to complete this nomination form and gather the supporting documents. If you would like more information, please contact Robyn Rockwell, Membership and Awards Administrator, at email@example.com or (877) 340-2756, ext. 222.
Past award recipients
|2018||Mary H H Ensom|
|2017||No candidates this year|
|2009||Robin J Ensom|
|2007||Thomas W Paton|
|2002||Glen R Brown|
|1995||James L Mann|
|1994||William (Bill) McLean*|
|1991||C Brian Tuttle|
|1988||Bruce R Schnell|
|1986||William R Foltas*|
|1985||Donna M Shaw*|
|1984||Sister Grace Sauvé|
|1983||Mary T Gannon*|
|1982||J Glen Moir*|
|1981||Brian A Dinel|
|1980||Betty C Riddell*|
|1979||Jack L Summers*|
|1978||Douglas J Stewart*|
|1972||J Edwin Smith*|
|1969||Isabel E Stauffer*|
|1967||Michael J V Naylor|
* indicates deceased