Distinguished Service Award Criteria
The submission consists of an online nomination and a signature form. The signature form must be signed by three nominators. Following submission of the online nomination, the signature form must be completed and returned to CSHP. Letters of support, and if possible, a copy of the nominee’s curriculum vitae should accompany the nomination.
The individual’s contribution to hospital pharmacy practice must be documented in sufficient detail to enable the Selection Committee - composed of past recipients of the Distinguished Service Award, CSHP Executive Officers, and members of the CSHP Fellows (FCSHP) Recognition Committee - to make the final selection. If no candidate is outstanding, the DSA shall not be given that year.
Nominations and signature forms will be accepted until 23:59 PDT September 30, 2018.
The recipient is recognized during an awards ceremony at the Professional Practice Conference (PPC) and is presented with a framed certificate and a cash award of $1500.
The Distinguished Service Award (DSA) is given to a pharmacist in recognition of outstanding achievement in hospital pharmacy practice and significant ongoing contributions to CSHP at the branch level (including A.P.E.S.) but primarily at the national level. The following eligibility requirements apply:
- The nominee has paid CSHP membership fees for the current year
- The nominee has held CSHP membership (including student membership) for a minimum of 15 cumulative years
- The nominee has been practising for a minimum of 20 cumulative years
- All nominators must also have paid CSHP membership fees for the current year
Evidence of outstanding achievements
Achievements shall have been recognized for their creativity or have led to a fundamental positive change in the way pharmacists practise and should be emulated by others. Recognition of such achievements should be indicated by letters of support accompanying the nomination.
For the purposes of determining the eligibility and relative merit of the candidates, the following definitions of achievement will be used by the Selection Committee. Evidence must include two or more of the following criteria, including the fourth criterion which is mandatory:
A series of articles on a few topics, based on the candidate’s study of these areas, or original research evidenced by his/her publications appearing in peer-reviewed journals. Articles must be relevant to the Canadian hospital pharmacy experience. The subject matter of the publications shall show evidence of the candidate's leadership in the area. Research must have an impact on patient care or pharmacy practice.
From professional non-profit voluntary organizations (e.g. CSHP, CPhA, CCCP, APES, ASHP, ACCP, regulatory authorities, etc.) for the advancement of hospital pharmacy practice. Include awards received in recognition of contribution to patient care or pharmacy practice
3. Special status designations
Fellow status and other designations from pharmacy organizations
4. Participation in pharmacy organizations (mandatory) *
- Only officer positions or chairs will be considered, where leadership and effective accomplishment of committee goals and objectives are evident
- There should be CSHP involvement by participation in activities, committees, and programs at the branch level (including A.P.E.S.) but primarily at the national level
- Participation in CSHP activities, committees, and programs must be for a minimum of 10 years (or a combination of 10 years of service to CSHP and A.P.E.S.)
- The candidate shall have made substantial impact on hospital pharmacy practice through this activity. Impact on practice should be indicated in a letter of support
- If one of the achievement areas is the management of a professional journal, the contributions should have had an impact on patient care or hospital pharmacy practice. Such contributions should be supported by a letter, indicating potential impact, from the editor or associate editor
It is suggested that you compose your submission using your normal word processor and copy/paste the information into the online nomination form. This will ensure that you have a local copy in case of computer error. Save a copy of your submission for your records before you enter it online. There are word limits associated with certain sections of the nomination form.
It is not necessary for the candidate to be made aware of the nomination. The names of the nominees will be kept confidential throughout the selection process. Only the name of the successful candidate will be made public.
You will be asked to provide the nominee's personal information, such as name, professional degree(s), telephone number, email address, and CSHP number. You will also be asked to document university and post-graduate education, and provincial or national certification/licensure.
You will be asked to document the candidate's pharmacy practice over a minimum of 20 cumulative years and to describe their professional, academic, research, business, or other pharmacy-related experience and activities in each position.
You will be asked to provide evidence of outstanding achievements in at least two of the following areas: publications (150,000 characters), awards, special status designations, and participation in pharmacy organizations (mandatory). Refer to section above outlining evidence of outstanding achievements.
You will be asked to describe the nominee's participation in pharmacy organizations:
- Membership in professional organizations: describe leadership positions and offices held, especially officer and chair positions. Officer and chair positions will only be considered if leadership and effective accomplishment of committee goals are evident
- CSHP involvement: there should be involvement in CSHP activities, committees, and programs at the branch level (including A.P.E.S.) but primarily at the national level. Participation in CSHP activities, committees, and programs must be for a minimum of 10 years (or a combination of 10 years of service to CSHP and A.P.E.S.) (100,000 characters)
- Special activities or areas of major contribution: describe in detail the accomplishments of the candidate that substantiates his/her nomination for this award. The candidate shall have made substantial impact on hospital pharmacy practice through these activities. Impact on practice should be indicated in a letter of support. If one of the achievement areas is the management of a professional journal, the contributions should have had an impact on patient care or hospital pharmacy practice. Such contributions should be supported by a letter, indicating potential impact, from the editor or associate editor (150,000 characters)
Try to be as specific as possible - do not simply refer to a curriculum vitae or assume the candidate's contributions are well-known. Inclusion of a curriculum vitae, although helpful, will be insufficient to properly highlight the candidate's contributions.
The following documents should accompany the nomination:
- letters of support
- the nominee's curriculum vitae
- signature form (mandatory)
Inquiries should be directed to :
Robyn Rockwell, Membership & Awards Administrator
Toll Free: 1 (877) 340-2756, ext. 222
Direct: (613) 736-9733, ext. 222