Applicants must be graduating or have graduated from a Canadian Council for Accreditation of Pharmacy Programs-accredited faculty of pharmacy or otherwise be eligible for licensure in a Canadian province. Applicants participating in the CPRB residency matching service must abide by the policies and rules of the matching service. Registration with the CPRB Pharmacy Residency Application Matching Service (PRAMS) is a requirement for application to accredited programs outside Québec.
Programs may have differences with regard to eligibility requirements and entrance criteria. For example, many programs consider applications only from Canadian citizens and permanent resident status legally entitled to work in Canada.
Programs may require that applicants meet one or more of the following eligibility requirements:
- Have graduated from a pharmacy education program accredited by the Canadian Council for Accreditation of Pharmacy Programs (CCAPP);
- Hold a current license to practice pharmacy, or be eligible for licensure as a pharmacist within a set time period after starting the residency program (e.g., evidence of having successfully challenged the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (PEBC)Qualifying Examination Parts I & II, as well as Language Competence Evaluation may be required);
- Have never been expelled from a pharmacy practice residency program;
- Have never been denied employment at a facility of the health region in which the residency is offered;
- Have never been denied licensure as a pharmacist or pharmacy intern in any jurisdiction;
- Become a registered student at a University affiliated with the residency program.