Join CSHP as its inaugural Chief Pharmacy Officer! - Apply by July 5, 2019
Chief Pharmacy Officer
CSHP is seeking a leading pharmacist to become its inaugural Chief Pharmacy Officer. This newly created position will be instrumental in shaping the future of pharmacy practice in hospitals and other related healthcare organizations in Canada. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Pharmacy Officer (CPO) will be responsible and accountable for meeting the pharmacy and professional practice objectives within CSHP’s strategic plan. You will have autonomy and authority to deliver professional practice services, products and initiatives within the policy framework established by the Board and the CEO. The CPO will be the in-house go-to for all things pharmacy.
You will lead the Professional Practice team and be responsible for the development of our suite of professional resources for CSHP members, policy positions, continuing education, best practices, consultations, research and knowledge translation. Your team supports a variety of CSHP committees and task forces, as well as the work of the affiliated Canadian Pharmacy Residency Board and the Hospital Pharmacy Survey in Canada Board.
As the successful candidate, your leadership skills will ensure excellence in the delivery of projects that are of strategic importance to CSHP. You have a demonstrated record of inspiring and supporting your team and volunteers to higher levels of performance and excellence in patient safety. You understand issues that are relevant to practice, from the grassroots level of hospital pharmacy to those at the highest levels of the healthcare system. Collaborative and connected, you will be comfortable representing CSHP on external committees/advisory groups, in the media, with industry and to government departments and elected officials.
A license to practice pharmacy and experience in hospital or collaborative pharmacy is mandatory. Ideally, you will have experience as an employee of a pharmacy association, regulatory authority, government department or academic institution. Volunteer experience demonstrating your interest in giving back to the pharmacy profession is a definite asset.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads and coordinates organization-wide efforts to advance pharmacy practice and address critical practice issues, such as scope of practice, standards, guidelines, competencies, etc
- Monitors health care and pharmacy practice trends to present issues to the Board and relevant committees and implement resulting strategic direction
- Manages the implementation of the Canadian Pharmacy Residency Board strategic objectives
- Oversees the operation of the Pharmacy Specialty Networks and realizing gains in usage, relevance and functionality; advancing specialty areas prioritized by the Board
- Operationalizes CSHP’s expanded membership value for registered pharmacy technicians by creating targeted programs and services in this area.
- Enables data-driven policy development by ensuring the collection of statistics on workforce, licensure, graduates, residencies and other relevant metrics for the profession and managing all practice-related surveys
- Grows CSHP’s professional development program into a comprehensive educational enterprise that meets member needs in content, relevance and delivery options
- Analyzes current offerings of CSHP and other providers in education and training and develops new content to fill gaps
- Oversees pharmacy elements of the annual Professional Practice Conference including volunteer committees, thematic programming, speaker selection, research integration, etc; collaborates with other staff on other elements of the conference
Policy & Advocacy
- Monitors federal legislation, regulations and policy that affect pharmacy in hospitals and other collaborative settings
- Coordinates response to formal consultations on federal government legislation and regulations through CSHP committee and member feedback
- Tracks trends in provincial legislation, regulations and policy; coordinating national responses and assisting provincial efforts as appropriate
- Represents CSHP on various external boards, committees, task forces as required
- Supports CSHP advocacy campaigns through policy advice, professional content, external outreach
- Supports the CEO in strengthening CSHP’s shift toward increasing non-dues revenue by improving the returns on existing programs and exploring new entrepreneurial options
- Integrates a member-centric vision throughout professional practice programs and views future initiatives through this lens
- Develops business plans for new offerings and tracks progress in achieving targets.
- Prepares annual budgets for the professional practice department and initiatives and is responsible for budgetary performance
- Participates in the development of strategic plan, prepares goals and objectives for professional practice and is accountable for performance in these areas
- Responsible for setting employee performance objectives, clearly defining duties, and conducting performance reviews for direct reports.
- Identifies information technology requirements for program initiatives
- As a senior leader, contributes to the positive, productive and supportive office environment
- As part of the management team, advises the CEO on policies, overall budgets, organizational structure, capital decisions and technology.
- You are a senior pharmacist who has practiced in a hospital or collaborative setting, along with management experience in a hospital, association, government, health administration or academic institution.
- A master’s degree in administration or advanced degree in pharmacy is preferred. Ideally you have successfully completed a hospital pharmacy practice residency.
- Superior written and oral skills in English are essential.
- Fluency in French is an asset.
HOW TO APPLY
We hire top talent, recognizing that our accomplishments are achieved through the commitment of dedicated individuals. Please email your cover letter and résumé to Jody Ciufo, Chief Executive Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org at your earliest convenience, but no later than July 5, 2019.
The position is located at the CSHP office in Ottawa, Ontario.
About the Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists
The Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists is the national voluntary organization of pharmacists committed to patient care through the advancement of safe, effective medication use in hospitals and other collaborative healthcare settings. CSHP supports its 3200-plus members and individual supporters through advocacy, education, information sharing, promotion of best practices, facilitation of research, and recognition of excellence.
Please note: We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.